Full length <span class="highlight">roof</span> topper

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 18, 2012 at 20:49
ThreadID: 99069 Views:2550 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently brought an full offroad tradies trailer (autoelectrician in Wyndham, northwest WA) and plan to make it dual purpose. We currently have a smaller style camper trailer that serves us well but when camping in more remote areas beside billabongs, creeks and rivers it pays to sleep in a high cot.

So what we are looking for is what I can only describe as a 'full length camper trailer roof top tent. A roof top tent in the style of a cheaper fold out camper trailer, where the sleeping area remains setup and doesn't fold up, and the tent folds out from above the bed to create a living/storage area.

There are a lot of rooftop tents out there, but typically the mattress folds up to make a package that is around 1200x1400

It needs to be able to mount at 1800, a package size of about 1400x2400 would be great, and once folded out would leave a sleeping area with between 900-1500 clearance with a living area size that's not critical but is water proof, as the wet will test it. There are areas still accessible for us that are spectacular this time of the year.

Many thanks, John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Sunday, Nov 18, 2012 at 21:09

Sunday, Nov 18, 2012 at 21:09
John,
We have a Shippshape roof top tent that gives a sleeping area of 2100 x 1300 (I Think) and has good ventilation all round, is permamantly set up and only takes a couple of minutes to set up. Have a look at their web site and you will get a better picture of them.
Although we have a camper now, I haven't considered selling it yet as it may come in handy one day. With great ventilation all round, it always gives a good nights sleep particularly up in the tropics.
AnswerID: 498737

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 08:14

Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 08:14
Hi John

We have a Hannibal that opens over the rear of the car to give a 1.6 x 2.4 sleeping area and 4x2 fully enclosed annex behind the car with an opening to the rear of our 100 series. The tailgate serves as the kitchen bench.

Phil
AnswerID: 498750

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:13

Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:13
I should add that when folded up it is 1.6M wide by 1.2M long. We sleep two adults and two young grand children up there for a weekend trip. Any longer we take an adult sized stretcher for the floor of the annex.

It takes about 15 minutes to set up with the annex and to make a cuppa. We have without rushing completely packed up including an ensuite in 20 minutes with just my wife and I.

But one drawback for the roof top on the car is that we cannot "go for a drive" and "leave the camp set up". It has this annoying habit of wanting to come along. Ha.

Phil
FollowupID: 774747

Follow Up By: sweetnam - Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:16

Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:16
There are a couple to look at - we are doing the same thing as we speak

Austrack - http://www.austrackcampers.com.au/xl-roof-top-tent/

Eezi Awn - http://www.eeziawn.com.au/22m-wide-family-t-top-rooftent/

Serenity - http://www.serenitycampers.com.au/roof_top_premium_camper_tent.html

Hope this helps
FollowupID: 774748

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 14:17

Monday, Nov 19, 2012 at 14:17
Hi John and Regina

I have a 3 Dog Rooftop Tent that I think would serve you well. The bed in mine is a king size and remains made up all of the time.
Takes less that 5 minutes to set up and put down which includes removing the cover.

I have used mine now for over 5 years and never a problem and is still as good as new, no leaks and can withstand high winds.

3 Dog are located at Byron Bay, check out their website.

Regards
John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 774762

Follow Up By: Member - GRANT HID(NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2012 at 08:12

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2012 at 08:12
Hi John and regina,
I have had 2 Aussie traveller roof top tents which are very quick to set up and the room stays attached when packing up.
It is that quick to set up sometimes we will only set it up before going to bed.
We put a inner spring mattress instead of the foam one.

Cheers

FollowupID: 774825

Sponsored Links